Dental implants are modeled after anatomical teeth. But do they require any extra-special treatment when it comes to daily home care?
Your oral hygiene is an integral piece of how successful your implant treatment will be. With healthy gums and bone tissue, your implants have the potential to last an entire lifetime. Here’s everything you need to do to keep your implants stable for the decades to come:
- Floss Your Implants Daily
- The absolute most important thing that a dental implant patient must do is floss around their implants daily. Otherwise, buildup can accumulate around the neck of the implant and under the gums, resulting in infection and implant failure. But if flossing is too much of a challenge, an easier — and just as effective — alternative is to invest in a water flosser. Just make sure you’re cleaning around and between your implants every single day.
- Invest in an Electric Toothbrush
- Electric toothbrushes are excellent for removing plaque buildup across your implants and near the gumlines. They also provide added stimulation to your gum tissue, which then boosts blood flow and helps keep your gingiva as healthy as possible.
- Consider Wearing a Nightguard
- Although dental implants are stronger than natural teeth, your fixed restorations can still succumb to teeth clenching and grinding. Sleeping in a nightguard will safeguard your porcelain crowns and bridges to help them last much longer.
- Schedule Regular Checkups
- Special tools are needed to safely (and effectively) clean around dental implants. Plan to reserve a checkup every six months, just like you would with natural teeth.
Are dental implants right for you? Call Torrance Oral Surgery and Dental Implant Center today to find out.
Posted on behalf of
23451 Madison St #120
Torrance, CA 90505
Phone: (310) 373-0667